Board of Supervisors
Building and Zoning
General District Court

Circuit Court
Treasurer’s  Office
Department of Social Services
Commissioner of Revenue

Commonwealth Attorney
Sheriff’s Department

King and Queen County Directory
Visit King and Queen
Contact Us


Environmental Codes Compliance Officer, Email
Phone: 804-785-5975 x2, option 2 , Fax: 804-785-5999


Land Disturbance Permit Information

BEFORE you clear, grade, excavate or fill:

Any land disturbing activity in the Resource Management Area (RMA) (clearing, grading, excavating, filling, etc.) greater than 2,500 square feet in area requires a land disturbing permit from the King and Queen County Zoning and Zoning office.

Any land disturbing activity outside of the Resource Management Area (RMA) (clearing, grading, excavating, filling, etc.) greater than 10,000 square feet in area requires a land disturbing permit from the King and Queen County Planning and Zoning office.

To obtain a permit:

1) Fill out a land disturbing permit application.

*For land disturance activity for a single-family dwelling project, click here for an application.
*For all other land disturbance activities, click here for an application.

Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Review Checklist

2) Be sure to provide clear, specific directions to your site. Inadequate directions may delay the processing of your permit.

3) If building a residence, submit a copy of your Virginia Department of Health Permit or Safe Adequate and Proper (SAP) approvals providing evidence of an approved septic system. Contact the King and Queen Health Department for an application and more information at 785-6154.

4) Submit approval from VDOT for your proposed driveway if your drive will enter from a state road.

* A contractor or land owner constructing a house must obtain a LUP-PE permit from the VDOT office in Saluda located at 161 Bowden Street, Saluda, VA or call them at 758-2321.

5) For residential projects: On a copy of a survey or plat of your property, draw the limits of your proposed clearing, grading, or other land disturbance and provide dimensions of the area to be disturbed. Also known as the "in lieu of" land disturbance application/permit.

For all other projects: Submit an erosion and sediment control plan meeting the requirements of the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Regulations. Click here for a copy of the Virginia E&S Regulations.

6) If your property has any wetlands, streams or other water bodies you may be required to be setback a minimum of 100 feet from these features due to the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act. This 100' buffer is called the Resource Protection Area (RPA). No construction, land disturbance, storage of equipment or materials is allowed in the 100' RPA.

7)Post a sign at the proposed driveway location with the last name of the property owner.

8) Mark/flag the limits of your proposed land disturbance on site. These limits should match the limits shown on your drawing.


Responsible Land Disturber (RLD):

A DCR certified RLD is required for all non-residential projects, residential projects disturbing over an acre and violations. A copy of a RLD's certification must be submitted with application for these projects. For more information on the RLD requirements click here.

After your permit has been issued:

1) Post your land disturbing permit on your site.

2) Install any required erosion and sediment control meaures that are required (i.e. construction entrance, silt fence, etc.)

3) Keep land disturbing activity within the approved limits.

4) Periodically inspect your property for erosion problems.

5) County staff will conduct periodic inspections of your project and inform you of any erosion and sediment control issues on your site.

Before you are ready for a certificate of occupancy:

1) All denuded, disturbed area must be appropriately graded, seeded and mulched.

2) A Permanent Certificate of Occupany will NOT be issued until your site is adequately stabilized.